Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What's Working Wednesday- Sound Check

Look at me blogging twice in a week! Fall break is a wonderful thing friends. A WONDERFUL thing. So I decided what better way to come back than to share something with everyone that has been working wonderfully in my classroom this year. And it is something very simple.....


Sound Check!



If you look closely you can see the NOISE letters and the sound check chart. I tried getting a zoomed in version but it was REALLY blurry... and since I am not at work, this is the best I got for now. The concept is very simple. On the sound check chart I have- no voice, whisper voice (this is for when they are working in partners in my room), group voice (for when they are working in groups), and teacher voice (for when they are presenting). I have a glittery clothespin that I clip to the level I want them at. That is step 1. The NOISE letters are where the kids are held accountable. If it gets too loud, I simply remove a letter starting with the E. Usually someone will notice me walking to the board and removing the letter and they say "shhh lower your voices she is taking a letter!". One letter is USUALLY all it takes. Of course, last week it took two letters, but we have yet to get to three. And let me tell you why... as soon as I remove the E, S, and I all that is left is the word NO... that means the class is immediately on silent..no more group work, no more partners, no more noise. And NO ONE wants to have to work alone when they are doing something fun with their groups. (We do a LOT of group work in my room.) After sharing that I made this over the summer, a few people asked me if I would list it in my TpT store...so I did. If you want to grab it, you can find it here


What is one thing you are doing that is working in your classroom? Feel free to add your ideas to the comments section or even a blog post link if you have one. I haven't made this a linky again but I will if enough people show interest. Otherwise I will just keep it to comments. 


For Fun- I will randomly select one person who comments to win my sound check and noise control chart. You have until Saturday!


11 comments:

  1. I like your noise letters. I do something similar but with numbers. I think I like your idea of the letters better though. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Tammi
    The Balanced Classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - love the pack you have put together too!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The kids get really nervous when I remove a letter. It is amazing how it works!

      Delete
  3. I like your idea because it has a consequence. In line, I use a 0,1, 2, 3 system. I tell them that a 3 voice is on the playground, 2 voice is a regular voice that they use speaking to the person next to them (center work), 1 voice is a whisper and zero voice is no voice. When we are in an area of the school that they are unsure of what noise level is appropriate or they need a reminder, I simply hold up a finger and they shadow me. Soon everyone is holding up the finger I have up and are reminded to lower their voices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea to use numbers so you can easily show them without having to say anything. We have a 3-2-1-0 rule for lines so I think more numbers may be confusing LOL. But a good way for the sound rules to travel!

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea! I have been looking for something that would work for me. It seems like it is simple, but gets the students' attention. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the NOISE sign used by a few people now and keep thinking what a cleaver idea it is. My cooperating teacher has her own method she prefers but I really look forward to trying this out in my own classroom soon. Love your set!

    Kayla
    Rooting for Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need something like this! Do you reset the letters every day? week?

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb
    teachonalimb@me.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reset them every day. I know some people reset them after each activity but that is too lenient for my liking. My kids know we do a ton of group work and they don't want to have to lose that time so it works.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...