Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Magical Product Swap

MrsStanfordsClass
This is my first time participating in this and I have to tell you I was so excited to be paired up with Gina from Beach, Sand, and Lesson Plans for the product swap.
I mean first of all, she has a phenomenal name! Second, we teach the same grade. And third, well maybe I am just a little jealous that she lives so close to the beach and my all time favorite place in the world (Disney). But she is extremely nice and supportive so I suppose I could let that jealousy go. I know, I know, this isn't what you came here to hear. You want to know all about the AMAZING product I was able to test out in my class. We are right in the thick of TCAP test prep and so I decided to test out her Multiplication Scoot Cards. My kids LOVE scoot. And what better way to make testing review fun than to turn it into a game?!
We have played scoot in a variety of ways. We have done it with cards on the desks where we physically scoot. We have done it where students stay put but "scoot" the cards to the next person. We have even done it in the hallway where they go around finding cards and answering questions. THIS I think is their favorite but it takes a bit longer because there is a little more freedom. This time, I decided to try something a little different. It was a beautiful day outside and since I teach in a double wide trailer portable, we took advantage of the nice weather and went outside for our game.

I sat the students in a circle, alternating facing each other or back to each other. Then each student got a card or two (there are more cards than students and for something like multiplication that is fairly quick, I use all the cards) and got to work. When I said scoot they passed their cards clockwise to the next person.

I LOVED that there was such a great variety of multiplication problems on the cards. There were cards for:
Finding the product
Writing repeated addition sentences for given multiplication sentences
Identifying the multiplication sentences a picture represented (arrays and groups)
and
Writing multiplication sentences for given repeated addition sentences

I also appreciated that they were simple enough for my kids to do without support, but challenging enough to make them think, especially since there were so many different questions. Now would I do it outside again? Who knows- it was a little slower than I would have liked. But THAT has nothing to do with how much I loved these cards. Thank you Gina for such an amazing and teacher friendly scoot game! And the biggest thing for me...they were super easy to cut! She had all the cards connected which makes cutting them out so much easier!

Gina also has a division set in her store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...