Friday, March 15, 2013

The Jerry Maguire post... Inspired by Ari

Jerry Maguire.... Show Me the MONEY! Well.. ok, I won't be showing anyone any money in this post. And I sure won't be having anyone throwing any money at me, but I do love that part of the movie. In the movie (in case you haven't seen it) Jerry writes his own memoir...and thenAri from The Science Penguinwent ahead and wrote hers. And after reading it, I decided (after asking her if she minded) that I was going to write mine. Ari shared that getting 6 years out of a young teacher is what is expected. I have also heard that a large percentage of teachers don't make it past 5 years. Well... I am about to be finishing up my 6th year so hip hip hooray for going past THAT hurdle.

And so I decided to follow Ari's lead and make a list of things I would like to incorporate, fix, or do next year. Yes, I am already thinkng about next year. Now, some of these things may not stick because I am not sure what grade I will be teaching next year, but for the sake of this post, let's just assume I will be teaching third or fourth grade.

Now enough of my ramblings...

1. Homework- ONLY give spiral reviews. I would love to say I won't give any homework, but it won't happen. Math and Language spiral reviews. Ashleigh makes amazing spiral reviews that I already have, so that is easily taken care of.

2. Brain breaks- incorporate them. Include many different ones. There is a responsive classroom book I plan to order with all kinds of energizers in it. I was going to get it for this year but never did. And next thing you know, here we are in March and I still don't have it.

3. Forget the mound of paper work. I say it every year but I really have to figure out a solution here. I am thinking limit the amount of work students turn in for grading. If that means decrease papers they physically write on or grading papers together as a quick check method, just decrease it.

4. On that same note, if I haven't graded the paper in over a week, get rid of it. Return it to go over together, mark it for completion, etc but do NOT just hold onto it. At that point it is too late to worry about it anyways because we have moved onto a new skill.

5. Writing- From day one we have got to go full force with writing. My kids are STILL struggling with writing a paragraph that flows and makes sense. I just can't deal with another disastrous year of writing. LuckilyKate has some good ideas and suggested a greatbook to me that I plan to buy (I can't currently remember what it is called though).

6. Start from week 1 (ok maybe 2) with times tables. I am sick and tired of my kids not learning them. I am determined to get these kids to memorize their facts.

7. Consequences- plan them and enforce them from day 1. Try to be more proactive with this. KNOW what to do when a kid doesn't do their homework (the plan for this is to have extra copies and make them do it during free time) and other situations.

8. Lots more positives. Yes I know I just posted about consequences, but in reality I am hoping that if I can offer more positive recognition, then the consequences will be few and far between. For example- do a homework Lunch Bunch.

9. Realize there is 1 of me, 20+ kids, and many family members. I can't please everyone, but I can do my best to make sure I do my job. Which is to make sure that I teach these kids and make them feel like they are in a safe environment.

10. Breathe. Smile. Laugh.

Do you have any ideas of things you know you want to do next year?


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great post. You inspired me tonight!

    Thelamppostin1stgrademath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the positive changes you are planning! I'm implementing a few of these in my class this year as we begin the fourth quarter, too. :)

    ~Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...