Friday, June 7, 2013

More F words...

Nope, still not THAT F word. One of the same F words as last week...
Freebie Fridays
And another that you will have to read through to see what it is all about.

My freebie for this week (seriously how does Friday get here so stinkin fast in the summer?!) is something simple, but something I needed for my class.

In third grade we work on mastering multiplication facts. And I expect my students to master one set before moving on to the next set. Meaning a student could potentially take the 2s tests 10 times before finally getting the 100 on the test. In fact, I had a student that was working on the 0s and 1s for over a month. And that, my friends, leads to a LOT of paper. I needed a way to reduce the copies. And I finally figured out a way! Enter my freebie...

You may have seen my post about the dry erase pockets from My Binding... Well I have decided to make sure I have a class set and utilize these for multiplication tests.  In this freebie there are three templates for students to use. They say ___ x 4, ___ x 7, etc. In random order. I did this so that 1. students can't cheat and 2. students won't always get the same test so they can't just memorize the order of the numbers and answers. Each student will get a dry erase pocket and when I say go they will have a minute to write down whatever facts they are working on in the blanks and solve all the problems (only 11). So a student working on the 3s would put 3 in all the blanks then solve the problems.

When time is up I can quickly check to see who got a 100 and put a sticker on the class chart for that test. If they didn't get a 100, they will take the same facts test next week. This last year I used the bubblegum machines for students to keep track of their own progress (read about that here), and I may use that one again next year, or use another that goes with my classroom theme. I am undecided because the gum really was a good motivator.

The file has pictures and more explanation than up above, but that is the general idea. Clicking the picture will take you to the freebie! Enjoy!

Now the other F word... Halle at Across the Hall in 2nd Grade has come up with this cute linky party and I just can't resist a good linky!
Favorite Things! And this week's topic is Morning Must Haves...
I am not your typical person I guess, because aside from the necessities (toothbrush, soap, etc), I don't have many must haves... but I do have two...

This is my makeshift vanity. I think it is a writing desk. I don't even remember. But I love it. It is the perfect size for all my makeup. You don't see all the mess of makeup. And I can sit comfortably while getting ready in the morning.  (My straightener is also a must have, but I didn't take a pic of it. You do NOT want to see this 'do without that thing.)


(Please don't mind the blurry picture- Payton was in my arms and we were busy laughing hysterically over nonsense... picture had no chance of being clear.)

And this little girl. It is a sad day when she isn't up when I leave for work. She wakes up in the morning usually right before I leave and comes outside to say bye to me. Every morning. She gives me kisses and as soon as I am in the car she is demanding her daddy come to the door with her so she can give me a high five, hug, and another kiss. Then they go back in the garage and she waves frantically bye bye.
What are your morning must haves? Link up by clicking Halle's image!

5 comments:

  1. This is great! I can't wait to try this out when school starts back. I soooo want to get those dry erase pockets too! Great information and sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I wanted to add that I picked up dry erase pockets at the Target Dollar Spot last year for $1.00 a piece. Also, you could print on card stock and laminate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh someone else told me that recently and I have been stalking my $ spot but no luck yet. I am going to keep looking!

      Delete
  3. Hi Gina! Thanks for linking up! I'm now convinced I need a make-shift, make-up vanity. Love that it's a writing desk!!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I LOVE this idea!!! My student teacher and I went CRAZY last year keeping up with all the copies of test. I switched from 5th to 3rd and did not even imagine how much work that would be. SO I am very excited to try your method next year. I did have a question, how long do you give the students to complete these test? We always argue over time as a team, so it would be great to get an outside perspective.
    Thanks,

    Liz
    herbertsteacherhelpers@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...