Friday, June 28, 2013

Southernisms

You're from the north? "Well Bless Your Heart"

While talking to some southern blogging friends, a discussion came up about how different things are in the north and the south. Ok, maybe I started the discussion. And it got me thinking, this would be a fun blog post. So with that- here are some of my favorite or most confusing southernisms (or things that are big no-no's in the south). Letterman top 10 style...
10. 
 Bless your heart- is this just a way to say I am sorry you are so clueless. Add the southern accent (yes southern friends YOU have the accent, not me) and you have the sweetest sounding insult on the planet. Look, even Urban Dictionary says so!!
9.
 Ya'll. No thanks ya'll! It is "you guys" all the way. Even if you are all girls, I will still say what are you guys doing instead of what are ya'll doing?
8.
 Ink pen- because what else would be in a pen? (I was told this is because the southern accent sometimes makes it sound like pin.. and well, we don't want people to think we are are writing with something we use to hold our pants up.."
7. 
Snow skiing- Someone said this to me once and I said WHAT?! It is just skiing. If I tell you I am going skiing, regardless of the location I am in, it means I will be on the snow. If I wanted to do this sport in water, I would tell you I was going water skiing. No worries- you won't find me skiing on snow or water. It would be a disaster!
6. 
Fixin' to (or shortened to finna)- no. I am sorry. If it isn't broken I am not fixin' anything. I am going to get ready for the party, but I am not fixin' to get ready for the party. Too many words.
5. 
Buggy? That is a word for a stroller. The thing babies go in. Not a shopping cart. But I do hear it. My friend Crystal at the Library Fox has this story, and I laugh every time I think about it... " I went to WalMart with one of them and I asked him if we needed a buggy. He looked at me like I'd just sprouted a unicorn horn and tail. I pointed and he said, "You mean a cart? Buggies are for babies." Yes Crystal's step brother- I am with ya!
4.
Yuck Yuck and more Yuck. It isn't too sweet, it is just awful. Awful awful. I have to be the only person who doesn't like it! (Well except my husband, he doesn't count because he doesn't like any kind of iced tea.)
3. 
Yes- saying yes is what is expected. Apparently saying yea instead of yes is a no-no. And I say yea...all the time. (I do, however, say please and thank you. THAT is just common courtesy no matter where you come from.)
2.
Excuse me? If you can't hear something or need it repeated to clarify, in the south you should say excuse me. Me... I say Huh?! THIS is apparently a big no no in the south. I say it ALL.THE.TIME. I am not being rude, I am just either saying "I didn't hear you" or "I have no idea what you are talking about". And you can tell the difference between them in the tone in my voice. A simple "huh" means I didn't hear you. A "hu-uh?" means I have no clue what you mean. Huh can also be used like huh- isn't that somethin'? It is a very versatile word. I can't let it go!

1. Ma'am and sir- 
The epitome of sounding polite. Notice I said sounding. Because even criminals in the south will say ma'am and sir. Me- No, I never say them. It doesn't make me rude I promise. It just isn't typical to hear it in casual conversation up north. I have the hardest time saying it because it sounds so foreign to me.
Hi- my name is Gina and I am a northerner. All together now "Hi Gina!" I really am not rude, but sheesh some southerners might think so. So to all my southern friends, readers, etc- I apologize for my lack of southern! And my poor daughter is going to have a tough time of it when she goes to school because we don't say

Oh and I forgot one- having your picture made. I have my picture taken, not made. :)

DISCLAIMER- this is all in good fun. I love each and every one of you, no matter where you are from!

15 comments:

  1. I'm a California girl born and raised, but as a military wife we spent 3 1/2 years in Biloxi, Mississippi. Talk about a culture shock! But I loved it actually. To this day I still make my kids call adults Mr. So and So or Miss So and So. I love the respectful sound and I couldn't kick it. People think I'm weird. And I now think it's weird when little kids just call me Jessica without the Miss. Another one that I thought was funny was when people would say, "might-could" like, I might-could do that, or I might-could do this...what the heck does that mean...and did you catch that heck? That's the G-rated version of my Nor-Cal slang (he**a). Hahaha. Great post Gina! Thanks for the laughs :)

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to you but posted it separate. Not sure if you will be alerted.

      Delete
  2. Haha exactly. notherners have bad mouths I guess. Might could is another one but I've caught myself saying it! I tell my friends their kids can call me Gina or aunt gina. Not miss gina. All my parents' friends when I was growing up were my aunts and uncles. So my friends are my daughter's aunts anf uncles haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well bless your heart Gina! Bwahhahaha! Just kidding. You know I love you Gina! I know that precious little one will thrive and be loved all day long at school. Don't worry a pinch about her! One of my favorite character traits of a northern raised woman is her strong sense of independence. I am fortunate and have it from the Irish Scottish bloodline. There are a few more - we have supper at noon and dinner in the evening, we always ask about your mama and how she is doin', Mama's always force food into any visitors belly, and we never attend a funeral wake without bringing a ton of food. Our southern graces is what makes us who we are, and your northern character is what makes me love you all the more! Have a blessed day- and thanks for the sweet post!
    Valerie
    www.georgiagrownkiddos.com
    (yes, I am a southern born and raised kinda girl)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Southern born and bred! I have said and done everything that you wrote. How could you not like sweet tea? LOL! It has to be sweet for me to drink it. Georgia Grown Kinders has a great comment. I think everyone should have manners. No matter where you are from...North or South. Thanks for the laughs. I'm fixin' to go get me a snack. :-)

    Jeannie
    The 2nd Grade Surprise

    ReplyDelete
  5. South Carolina girl here! :) Love your post!
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's hilarious! I knew most of these, but learned a few new ones. :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You forgot to "cut the lights on"! That one drives me crazy. My husband is from Texas, but I was raised in KS. We turn on the lights up there, but down here we cut them on.

    My all time favorite is "pollypop". His 97 year old Granny asked me if I wanted some pollypop and I said "Do what?". Translation - Do you want some Kool-aid? Reply - Huh?

    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm Southern, my family is Northern, and my husband is British. We use all sorts of talk around here. Great post.
    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great thread!! Love reading it and am proud to say that I read it while drinking....A SWEET TEA! Yumo!

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was born and raised in Texas, but I have British parents, so I had a weird hybrid upbringing. Before I started school, I had never said "ma'am" or "sir" in my life, and I was so shocked when teachers were offended by "yeah!" It's definitely a learning curve. Oh, and despite living almost my whole life in Texas, I don't like sweet tea either. yuck! I am, however, guilty of "y'all," and even living in France I can't break myself of the habit. Same for "bless your heart!" >< Haha great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! We moved from WI to NC two years ago and have heard all of these :) Another one is 'put it up' instead of 'put it away'. My fav story is when my 1st graders were working on the -all word family. I had them call out words and they were saying ball, fall, wall, etc. Then one little guy shouts out "y'all!". I said, "I've got to give you that one!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. To my fellow Yankee in the south.... Thank you so much for the "buried treasure" in my mailbox this week. What a sweet little surprise from you and Jennifer. Enjoy your vacay!

    Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  13. A personal favorite is when you go eat Chicken wings ANYWHERE besides Buffalo.. They are called BUFFALO WINGS.. um no my great friends.. they are just chicken wings : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh girl....y'all will come around and start saying the things the RIGHT way. You forgot about saying Coke. What do you want to drink? A Coke. What kind? Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc. Everything is a Coke. Y'all is WAY easier to say than you guys.

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...