Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Teach Like a Pirate Chapter 6- Enthusiasm

I have appropriately nicked named myself Slackers R Us...because I just can't keep caught up. This post is rather late (since it was supposed to post on Sunday), but better late than never right?

Anyways- today's chapter is all about enthusiasm. And here is my favorite line in the entire chapter...

"I will not allow that which is outside my control to affect my effort and enthusiasm." 

THIS...this is something I need to repeat to myself every single day. It is hard to be enthusiastic when you let all the OTHER stuff affect you. It can really bring you down. I can't count how many times I have had an amazing lesson planned, come out of grade level meeting (which is NEVER good times and happy endings),and bam- lesson enthusiasm is shot. I mean sometimes it is so shot, I shut down for the day. I know it isn't the best thing but I know everyone has been there. You feel so beat down that how can anything you do be worthwhile? Using this book is HOW I am going to make sure that my lessons are worthwhile regardless of all the other stuff. Even if I have to act...

Acting enough can eventually become real, especailly in the classroom. Act like you love teaching something, the lesson eventually gets more exciting for you, and all of a sudden you can't wait to teach it again!

One more thing that stood out to me...

"As a teacher, your days comprise enough positive and negative experiences to either make you feel energized and amazing or beat down and depressed. What you choose to attend to creates your reality." 

I should probably frame this one and hang it on my desk for those grade level meeting misery days.

Read more and join the discussion here on Carmen's blog (really hop over there because she is so sweet!)

And I swear, once I get caught up on some things, I will be hopping to all the posts I have missed. I haven't even read my blogs I follow in a few days. Things have just been a little chaotic here.  


1 comment:

  1. I am happy to know that I am not the only one that DISLIKES Grade Level Meetings greatly! I definitely need motivation and a pick-me-up after them.. Ours are typically at the end of the day. Needless to say those are days when I can't wait to rush home and take a nap!

    Jackie
    Undertheseainsecond

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...