Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pinterest Project

Pinterest is loaded with all kinds of cute crafts that can be done, especially for your classroom. And when you teach in a trailer portable you will do anything you can to make the inside semi cute. (If only I had pictures of the inside right now... poor trailer is in rough shape). So with that, I decided to go ahead and try to make the teacher toolbox that I was seeing all over pinterest.

So after figuring out what I needed, I went to Home Depot and Lowes on the hunt for this toolbox. I went to HD first because they had it in gray... except they were out. So when I got to Lowes and they only had blue (which did not match my color scheme I was going for) I knew I was going to spray paint it. I went to Michaels and got some paper in shades of pink and gray. I also got some sparkly ribbon to put on the lip of the drawers. I spray painted the toolbox with two coats and it was as easy as can be. I got spray paint meant for plastic and went on my way. No sanding for this girl. This is the toolbox before... (picture taken from Lowes site because I was so excited to start that I never took a picture).
The site where this idea came from had a printable for the drawer labels. I decided to make my own because I wanted a different font (and I think a couple different labels as well). I also made a pattern piece for the size that I wanted to cut my scrapbook paper into. It was really easy to make and only took a few minutes. 


Next, I printed out the labels on white paper and cut them out. I decided what color was going to go on each drawer and traced the "pattern pieces" onto the scrapbook paper. I cut those out and mod podged them on top of the white labels so that all I could see was a white strip with the word on the bottom. I used mod podge because I couldn't find my regular glue and I was hoping this would stick better anyways. 
(Don't mind the date, I give up trying to re-set the date every time I charge the battery.)
Once they all dried, I used some Quick Stick adhesive spray to stick the labels onto the drawers. And I tell ya, that stuff is strong. I did a test on the back of a drawer and I don't think I could get that paper off if I tried. The only problem I had is that the stuff is sticky and being that I was spraying multiple drawers, my hands were a sticky mess. Some of the drawers I know I will need to redo because I was losing patience, but so far nothing has fallen off. And some of the papers got a little wrinkly but it's ok, I still love it! Last, I took my sparkly ribbon, cut pieces the length of the drawers and hot glued them on. And I give you my new teacher toolbox that I can not wait to stick on my desk. 

(I have since turned the date feature off on the camera)

If you want a copy of my labels, you can get them from google docs here (if this doesn't work, someone please let me know). I am NOT taking credit for this as my own idea (as you can see I linked the original poster above) but I figured I would just share my labels for people that may want a different font.

(please excuse the picture quality- I have decided that I will be using my old point and shoot for all things school related because I am not lugging my nice camera back and forth and I want to keep these pictures separate from our personal pictures.)

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I love your design on the labels! They're wayyyy too cute! :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Those papers are what made me decide those colors were my new scheme in my class!

      Delete
  2. Yours turned out so cute! How long did it take you to make it? I am thinking I might need to finally make one but I am not very crafty.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. If you get the chance, I would love for you to hop over and visit me. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It did not take long at all. Once I cut everything out it was just a matter of mod podging it and then spraying it on. I would say, at most, 2 hours total including making the labels on the computer, cutting, mod podge, spraying, and the glitter ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...